MedjetAssist - Standard
MedjetAssist is your ticket home if you become ill or are injured.
As a MedjetAssist member, if you are hospitalized virtually anywhere in the world, simply call MedjetAssist, and a specially equipped aircraft with a medical team can be dispatched to bring you to your home hospital or hospital of your choice, so you can be treated by your personal physician and be close to your family.
MedjetAssist is a prepaid, air medical transportation membership program -- not a travel insurance policy or healthcare plan. MedjetAssist was created to provide affordable, high-quality air ambulance service to individuals, families and businesses.
Lloyd's of London underwrites the program to guarantee that a transport will be available to every MedjetAssist member in time of need.
MedjetAssist transports members without regard to medical necessity. Members who are hospitalized may choose to be transported to another hospital, one of their choice.
There is no limit on the cost of a medical transport. And unlike travel insurance or travel platinum cards, MedjetAssist provides medical evacuations for its members both globally and domestically.
MedjetAssist's services are provided to members 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Call Collect From Anywhere
To discuss a problem or course of action, members can call our medical department collect or use our toll-free number (800-963-3538 or call 205-595-6626 in the U.S., Canada or the Caribbean).
Worldwide Evacuation and Repatriation
When a member becomes hospitalized as an inpatient due to an illness or injury while traveling more than 150 miles from home, either within or outside the contiguous United States, MedjetAssist will provide air medical transportation, medical evacuation and repatriation services to the hospital of the member's choice.
Transport Service to Specialty Hospital
If a member is hospitalized as an inpatient in his or her hometown hospital, and it is determined that the member requires the services of a specialty hospital within the United States located more than 150 miles away from the member's primary residence, MedjetAssist will provide air medical transportation to that facility, if the patient is unable to travel by commercial means without a medical escort. The member's attending physician, along with the MedjetAssist physician, must agree to the medical necessity of the transport to the specialty facility.
MedjetAssist representatives will provide contact information for doctors and hospitals in the area in which the member is traveling. Telephone interpretation can also be provided when necessary. The selection and payment of the medical provider remain the member's responsibility.
As soon as MedjetAssist is notified of a member's medical situation, the medical staff will establish communication with both the family and the local attending medical provider, obtain a full understanding of the situation and begin to monitor the member's condition. Medical professionals will stay in communication with the local medical personnel and relay necessary information to the member and his or her family or employer until the situation is resolved, and the member is either able to resume travel or an air medical transport is initiated.
Members can receive assistance with foreign-language interpretation over the telephone when they are having difficulty communicating with local medical specialists by calling our toll-free number (800-963-3538 or call 205-595-6626 in the U.S., Canada or the Caribbean) or calling collect from anywhere in the world.
Emergency Message Relay
Members may send and receive emergency messages to and from relatives, friends and business associates toll free, 24 hours a day, through the MedjetAssist staff.
MedjetAssist provides contact information for certified attorneys in the areas in which these members are traveling. Telephone interpretation can be provided when necessary. The selection and payment of the attorneys are the responsibility of the members.
Visa, Passport and Immunization Requirements
MedjetAssist will provide information regarding visa, passport and immunization requirements for foreign countries to which members will be traveling. For an additional cost, members may also receive services such as expedition or replacement of lost or stolen visas and passports.
Travel, Health and Safety Precautions
In addition to providing travel, health and safety precautions for international destinations, members may also receive comprehensive pre-travel medical consultations.
Transport of Mortal Remains
In the unfortunate event of a member's death while traveling more than 150 miles from home, MedjetAssist will arrange and pay for all necessary government authorization, provide a container appropriate for transportation and return the remains to the member's place of residence for burial.
- A family membership shall include the named primary member, his or her spouse or domestic partner and up to five of their unmarried dependent children (including step, foster or legally adopted children) under the age of 19 or up to age 23 if a full-time student in actual attendance at an accredited school or college and dependent on the primary member for support and maintenance. If a birth or legal adoption occurs during the year of a family membership, the new dependent is automatically covered upon notification. A dependent child, as used above, is one who lives regularly and permanently with the primary member in a parent-child relationship and is chiefly dependent upon the member for support.
- Membership enrollment and renewal are subject to approval by the MedjetAssist Membership Committee whose decision is final.
- Membership is valid only if the appropriate membership fee is collected.
- Must be under age 75*
* Members who have reached age 75 or older at the time of their enrollment are not eligible for membership benefits under the regular plan. Diamond Membership applications are available upon request and must be reviewed and approved prior to enrollment for individuals age 75-85. All membership applications and/or enrollment forms must include accurate dates of birth in order to ensure eligibility for benefits.
Air Medical Transport Criteria
- You must be hospitalized as an inpatient more than 150 miles from your primary residence as listed on your enrollment application and continue to meet inpatient criteria at the receiving hospital.
- Evacuation flights will be performed if an inpatient hospitalization is required and the remaining inpatient hospital stay can be completed at a hospital of the member's choice and the member is unable to return via commercial airline without medical escort.
- Air medical services are limited to two separate flights per membership per year, except for repatriation flights involving enrolled multiple family members requiring simultaneous repatriation. Under these circumstances, each family member will receive one fully paid flight.
- Due to the limited medical facilities and testing available on cruise ships, in some cases the MedjetAssist Medical Director may require the member to be admitted to a hospital on shore before scheduling air medical transportation to another hospital.
- Aircraft used for the medical transport of MedjetAssist members are fully equipped intensive care aircraft staffed with specially trained medical teams. However, if the member's condition permits, the member may be transported by scheded commercial airline, while in the care of a MedjetAssist authorized medical escort.
- At MedjetAssist's discretion, remote evacuation may be provided without hospitalization. Remote evacuation to the closest appropriate medical facility for initial stabilization and evaluation will only be performed in areas where MedjetAssist has authorized air medical evacuation affiliates capable of accessing remote air strips in the regions they serve. Members requiring remote evacuations will need to meet inpatient criteria as determined by MedjetAssist prior to evacuation.
- Members should note that a remote evacuation to the closest appropriate medical facility will constitute one member transport with regard to the number of allowable transports per year. Continued transport to the member's hospital of choice will be completed if the member continues to meet inpatient criteria, and has a remaining transport as part of their membership benefit.
- All arrangements for medical evacuation and repatriation must be made by MedjetAssist. Since MedjetAssist is a membership program and not an insurance plan, we will not reimburse members for expenses they incur on their own. Decisions regarding urgency of the case, the best timing and the most suitable means of transportation will be made by the MedjetAssist medical department after consultation with the local attending physician and the patient's receiving physician.
- At MedjetAssist's discretion, transport from a hospital within 150 miles of a member's registered membership home address to a specialty hospital more than 150 miles away may be provided in cases in which the appropriate medical specialty or equipment is not available at the member's hometown hospital and the member cannot travel commercially without medical escort. This benefit does not apply to short-term membership and is only available through the MedjetAssist Plus Program and to members who have maintained an active membership prior to 4/1/2008 without lapse.
- Transport benefits are not available to members for injuries, illnesses, or conditions existing at the time of enrollment where inpatient medical care has already been scheduled or recommended by a health care provider.
- To be eligible for MedjetAssist transport benefits, membership must be activated prior to initial departure from registered membership home address.
- If you are medically discharged from the hospital or leave against medical advice and are physically able to travel under your own power, you will no longer be eligible for air medical transport benefits.
Air Transport Restrictions/Exclusions
- Both the originating and receiving hospital must be reasonably accessible by ground ambulance to transport the member to and from an airfield capable of accommodating MedjetAssist authorized aircraft.
- Membership provides access to MedjetAssist authorized affiliates only.
- Due to the high risk of sending U.S. registered aircraft and personnel into countries where travel restrictions have been issued, membership services are subject to exclusion in these areas.
- A member with tuberculosis or other chronic airborne pathogens may not be transported.
- A member with mild lesions, simple injuries such as sprains, simple fractures or mild illnesses which can be treated by local doctors and does not prevent the member from continuing his or her trip or returning home without medical attention does not qualify for air medical transport.
- Air medical transport services will not be provided in cases where the member's primary admitting diagnosis is an inpatient psychiatric disorder.
- A member traveling outside the United States for the sole purpose of seeking medical treatment, whether inpatient or outpatient, experimental or otherwise, will not be eligible for air medical transport benefits for that specific trip.
- A member traveling or living outside the United States, Canada, or Mexico for an uninterrupted period in excess of 90 days is not eligible for membership benefits under the regular membership. Extended Stay (Expatriate) packages are available upon request.
- Up to two (2) family members, business associates and/or traveling companions may accompany the patient, at no additional cost, on a MedjetAssist authorized aircraft during transport, provided space is available and the patient care is not compromised. One family member or traveling companion may accompany patients being transported via scheduled commercial airline at no additional cost via economy class. Payment of membership fee entitles the member to the membership services as published at no additional cost to the member.
- While MedjetAssist makes every effort to accommodate its members, the patient and an accompanying passenger are limited to one small carry-on bag each due to limited space available on medical aircraft. MedjetAssist will assist with additional luggage to be forwarded at the member's expense.
Members will not be entitled to air medical transport benefits if their illness or injury is a result of or is contributed to by the following:
> War, invasion or civil war;
> Suicide or attempted suicide or intentional self injury;
> A member's own criminal or felonious act, or sustained while the member is in a state of insanity;
> A member who is hospitalized at the time of enrollment will not be eligible for transport benefits for that hospitalization and may not be accepted for membership entirely;
> A member with an infectious disease under treatment at the time of enrollment will not be transported for any condition related to that infection;
> A member on an organ transplant list prior to enrollment will not be entitled to a transport for that transplant;
- MedjetAssist reserves the right to change or amend these rules and regulations without prior notice. MedjetAssist is solely responsible for the interpretation and application of the rules and regulations communicated in this publication. All determinations by MedjetAssist shall be final and conclusive in each case. Memberships are non-transferable and non-refundable. By enrolling as a member you accept and agree to the terms and conditions of membership.
How To Contact US
MedjetAssist members may call for assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year from around the world through either the MedjetAssist toll-free telephone number, or if necessary, collect from anywhere in the world. For a directory of special USA direct access numbers visit the AT&T website at www.business.att.com/bt/dial_guide.jsp . Medical, legal and special services are available whenever a MedjetAssist member is traveling 150 miles or more from his or her permanent residence as listed on the enrollment form. Travel assistance information or referrals are available prior to departure or during a trip. The MedjetAssist Corporate Office and Assistance Center is located at 3500 Colonnade Parkway, Suite 500, Birmingham, AL 35243 USA.
Toll Free (USA & CANADA)
If hospitalized while traveling, have the following information available when you call us:
- Your name and telephone number where we can contact you.
- Member's name.
- Location (City, Country).
- Brief description of medical condition.
- Hospital telephone number.
- Attending physician or medical professional and telephone number.
Collect (Around the world)
A member traveling or living outside the United States or Canada for an uninterrupted period in excess of 90 days is not eligible for membership benefits under the standard plan. Extended Stay (Expatriate) packages are available upon request.
To be eligible for the Standard Membership, applicants must be U.S. residents.
Residents of Oregon
Transport of mortal remains, medical/legal referrals and foreign medical reports translation assistance are excluded from the membership benefit for Oregon residents.
© 2000-2013 IMT Services Corporation